Thursday, July 20, 2017

Delay, delay, delay

  Although scheduled to leave LAX at 8:10pm on Saturday, July 15th, my  NOwegian Airline flight from LAX to London Gatwick was delayed for 30 hours.  This was my first experience with NOwegian airlines and my last.  Their customer service was amazingly horrible. They offered no hotels and after trying to locate a hotel nearby, I discovered the only hotels were in Beverly Hills or Santa Monica with rates beginning at $498.  I called NOwegian's customer service to confirm that they would reimburse me for this rate and was told "we would hope that you would make the most economical choice possible."  She never did answer whether they would reimburse that high rate or not.
  The flight was continually delayed for 3-6 hour increments, making any plan to leave the airport frustrating.  Finally, at 2:30 am on Sunday morning, I rented a car and drove to Irvine were I parked in my brother's driveway and slept until 6:00 am when he got up.  Needless to say, he was surprised to see me.  I got a little more sleep before heading back to the airport for the rescheduled 1:00 pm flight only to find that it was delayed until 11:00 pm Sunday night.
  I rented another car and booked a room in Seal Beach, where I met up with my friend, Dean Bruce for lunch.  I got about 4 hours sleep before returning to the airport.
  In the meantime, I missed my connecting BA flight to Amsterdam and my first night at the hotel.
  The flight finally took off at 3:00 am on Monday morning.  I have nothing good to say about NOwegian airlines.  The premium economy offered great leg room, but that was all.  The food was horrible and the plane extremely hot.  Ugh.
  7:00 PM, I arrived at London Gatwick to find the airport a mess after a plane blew a tire on the runway earlier in the day.  No outbound flights to Amsterdam were available and no nearby hotels either.  I booked a room at the Hever Hotel and waited an hour in the taxi cue before finally getting on my way.  When I arrived the kitchen had closed, so the night manager made me a ham and cheese sandwich.
  After the confusing and frustrating time trying to get to Amsterdam, I decided to take a non-travel day and stay at the Hever Hotel another evening and relax.
  Yesterday, I traveled to Haarlem, checked into the Brasss Hotel before walking around this lovely town to find dinner.
  I'm glad to finally be able to begin my vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment