Saturday, August 20, 2011

Challenged

I seriously thought I brought everything I need. The fancy adapter plug I brought is just perfect for charging my iPad and iPhone, BUT NOT my laptop. The laptop's 3-prong, grounded plug will not fit, so I have about 30% power until I can find an adapter. And, while I can blog using my iPad, I cannot add photos....yet.

My flight from LAX to London was quite nice and I may be spoiled for ever flying steerage again. The moment you sit in your seat the pampering begins. There is champagne, juice, water or whatever else beverage you might wish for. Shortly after that, they bring a very nice drawstring bag containing ear plugs, socks,toothbrush and toothpaste. Next comes your lovely sleep suit...a soft black cotton T-style shirt and pants..all tucked into another draw string bag. As soon as I can add a photo I will show you my seat. It was like a little cocoon with 3 foot walls and an electrical adjustable seat. Need a little more lumbar support? Just press the button. In a word...Posh. For meals, my table was laid out with a white table cloth and real silverware. I couldn't help my self from pinching the little airplane shaped salt and pepper shakers, especially after what I saw written on them, "pinched from Virgin Atlantic". Isn't that just asking for them to be taken? Oh yeah. The seat stretched out into a bed and was made up with a little mattress pad and duvet. That's right! A duvet. I managed to get about 5 hours of sleep, which is a record for me.

Today was was my first full day in Inverness. I drove up to Kilmuir and found the Kilmuir Burial ground, near the ruins of St. Mary's church.   You would not believe the countryside in that part of Scotland. Ferns that grow 5' tall and lush forests. It really looked more like Big Sur, CA. The cemetery is on a hill overlooking the Firth of Forth, which is a wide bay that empties into the North Sea. I took lots of photos and wish I could share them with you. I found Capt. Thomas Paterson and his wife, Elizabeth MacKintosh's grave, along with several other Patersons.

I also drove to Knockbain, which the birth place of many of my Paterson ancestors. I thought I would find a small town, but instead it is rolling hills and a few scattered houses. I will find more information on Knockbain on Monday when the history center is open.

2 comments:

  1. So gland to hear you had a PLUSH and SAFE flight and that you already found the Paterson's grave site. Thanks for your Blog updates. I'm with you in spirit with every word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Joyce. I wish you could have been there when I found the Paterson graves. You would have loved it. I will send you a list of the Patersons buried in the same area, as I know they are related. This may be the break we needed to link up to the other Patersons.

    ReplyDelete