Friday, August 26, 2011

Scenes from Inverness

The Inverness sky is like no other.

Most of my day is spent researching my family history in the Highland Council History Center.  
The History Center has been open for about 2 years and everyone working there is knowledgeable, helpful and friendly.  Every morning, as I near the front door, security guard, Grant Begg,  comes out to greet me and walk with me into the building and every evening he walks with me and opens the door as I leave.  Wednesday night, heavy rain began just as I was leaving, Grant grabbed an umbrella and walked me to my car.  His mother would be proud.
This is Inverness' version of rush-hour traffic.  I usually sit through 3 to 10 changes of this traffic light.  It feeds into the Ness Bridge, one of the 2 bridges that cross the River Ness and get me back to my hotel.
This is an artsy photo of a building taken through the rain covered window while I waited for the light to change..

Inverness Castle from Ness Bridge


Ness Bridge
St. Andrew's Cathedral

Looking North along the River Ness
 toward the Ness Bridge
 These are views from in front of my hotel, aptly called the Waterside Hotel.
Inverness Castle
On Thursday nights, St. Andrew's practices ringing its church bells between 8 and 9 P.M.  They ring the bells about every 15 minutes for about 2-3 minutes.  When I heard it, I had to ask if there was a special reason for the bell ringing.  It sounded like the bell ringing you would hear if a Royal was born or married.


No comments:

Post a Comment